Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Home Sick

After getting a text from my Aunty and an email from my dad making sure I keep updating my blog I figure I better had.  The race on Sunday did not go very well.  Not only was I not prepared, frustrated I didn't know what was going on, and intimidated to heck by all the pro's team buses -my head was definitely not in the game.  I payed too much attention to not crashing in the pack I forgot about the race at the front.  So after the group I was with got pulled from the race, the 30 or so of us still had to ride the rest of the course to get home.  In the end it was pretty cool - riding up the cobble climbs a few minutes before Boonen would come up them - with all the drunks fans out cheering.  After the 3rd cobbled climb I remember telling a team mate of mine whom I was riding with - "I hate cobbles", and she replied with "Yeah, Belgium is a Shit country".  hahaha.  I wouldn't go so far as saying that, but I definitely knew how she was feeling.  Sunday was one of the hardest days I've ever had on a bike.



 The other surprise highlight was that I got a drive home sitting next to Iris Slappendel.  She wont the sprint for 2nd place and is a professional on Rabobank.  She was so cool and super inspirational.  She told me and Jessica (my team mate for the day on moving ladies) about how it is racing for Marianne Vos - how supportive and calm and nice she is.  So that really made my day.

Iris Slappendel
The thing that was missing however was having someone to vent to after my race.  Normally I have my parents or team mates to sympathies with me or gush about the race to ( I know I'm being a baby), but this time I didn't.  When I got home I called my mom and dad and immediately got super homesick.  That day I must have Skyped with 6 or 7 different people, and I realized how much I miss them, and how awesome my friends are.  But after some wise words, I decided to suck it up remember why I'm here, and take the good with the bad.

Some other good advice was to go exploring - so I took the water bus to Rotterdam the next day, and it was indeed super helpful, and I decided I like Rotterdam after all :)

Clip of Womens Gent Wevelgem

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you smile again! Can't wait for Sunday. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story, keep blogging:) looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete